Thursday, January 21, 2016

Goodbye

Today was by far one of the hardest days I have had. I spent the morning and early afternoon at hotel getting everything taken care of and packing up. I was getting excited to head home but that soon changed after I headed to the orphanage. After loading the car we stopped by Sean and Carolines to say goodbye. They became really good friends over the last couple of weeks and I will miss seeing them everyday. As we were driving away from them I already had a lump in my throat. I couldn't even think about saying goodbye to the sweet little angels at the orphanage.

One of the hardest things for me is telling a kid that I am going to be leaving. Once you tell the kid that you are leaving they distance themselves from you in hopes that you wont leave them. This happens to me all the time with my nieces but its easier when it happens with my nieces. I know with them I will get to see them in a couple of months after saying goodbye. The orphan kids it was completely different. They kept asking when I was going to come back and all I could say was I am not sure. Many of the kids would not play with Haley and I and that made it so much harder. They also were not acting like normal. They were all really quiet and not nearly as energetic as normal. So I found myself a spot on a chair and just watched them. I was seeing what life was like for them when we are not around to play with them. I watched them carry water buckets across the yard so they could wash clothes. I watched the little ones play with sticks in the dirt. As I was sitting there it got harder and harder for me. Finally they said it was time for us to go! What happened next made it so much harder to leave.

The kids all sat outside on a sidewalk and sang to us for ten minutes. They sang all different kinds of songs that I once sang when I was in Sunday School. As they were singing it started to rain and I thought how fitting. Usually when the kids sing for us they are screaming and smiling and having a great time and today they just looked sad. As I was watching them sing the tears started rolling down my face. I was thinking about all the different memories I had with each of the kids. I was thinking about how I have no idea if I will ever be able to see them again. Ellsie gave us a huge hug and thanked us for all or help. I quickly went to the car because I didn't want the kids to see me crying.  Then they all moved beside the car yelling, "Haley, Abby, Haley, Abby." Its a moment I will never forget seeing them all waving goodbye and I couldn't even talk because I was lost for words. Out of the corner of the window I saw Indaina sucking her thumb and waving goodbye at me. I stuck my tongue out at her and she smiled. After that short moment we left the orphanage. I was happy to be leaving so the goodbye to the kids would be over.

As we were weaving throughout the mountains all I could think about was the sweet kids and all the memories I had with them. Sure enough, the tears would start falling again. Its crazy to think that over 3 short weeks this country could have such an impact on my life. I had no idea what I was getting into when I arrived! I also had no idea how hard it would be to say goodbye to them.

With Love,
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment