Thursday, January 14, 2016

Endless smiles

Well today Haley and I look like complete lobsters. We spent most of the day outside in the sun and the sun is defiantly stronger out here. In the morning we observed in the classroom and we are slowly getting used of the craziness in the classroom. Today Haley and I had so much fun playing with the kids at the orphanage. We took a bunch of the little ones out to the soccer field. First we started holding their hands in spinning in a circle. They loved doing that but not me. I was so dizzy I had to go and sit down for awhile. We also played tag with them. I have never seen so many kids screaming and laughing. They were having the time of their life. It was so fun to just spend the afternoon with them and play. Today Indaina would stick her head out of a door and yell my name and hid. After she yelled my name I ran to where she was and went in the room to find her. I scared the poor girl she jumped like a foot off the ground and then she realized it was me and sat down on the floor and just giggled. It was funny watching her face when I walked in the room.

After playing with them for a while some of older boys started yelling my name. They wanted to play tic-tac-toe with me again. I literally have like 10 kids sitting around me yelling in French what next move I should make and I have no idea what they are saying. Sometimes I think that it is a good thing that I can't understand what they are saying to me. They just point and yell at me telling me what move I need to make. They also will keep score for me. This helps me work on my French counting!  I bet that we played tic-tac-toe for over a half hour.  I don't think these boys will ever get sick of playing this game.

We are officially half way through our trip and it is very bittersweet. Overall, I am ready for some American things. For example I am excited to sit on an airplane seat because it has cushion. I have not had a cushion on my chair since I left. I am also very excited for a shower that I don't have to worry about getting water in my mouth and that has warm water. The showers here are about hose water temperature which is fine since it is warm here. I will also enjoy constantly having electricity and not having random power outages. For example I was showering the other day and the lights went out and I had to finish my shower in the dark. I will miss the chicken. The chicken is so good and fresh. I will also miss the fresh fruit. The fruit here is delicious. I will also miss all the friends I have made so far on the trip. I have met some truly amazing people in Haiti. The people at the orphanage have been so welcoming and helpful to us. They have given us rides around the city and showed us how to get around on our own. We have also met some great people at hotel. Since we are not at a touristy place most of the people here are doing similar trip as us. Its fun to exchange stories about our days and its nice to have people to talk to when we get back for the night. This trip so far has changed my outlook on life and taught me so many life lessons.







No comments:

Post a Comment